East Side Youth Community Center, Manchester, CT

scroll down for details

4,760 SF Adaptive Reuse
Completed: 2011

  • Spruce Street Firehouse was built in 1923 by the Cheney Brothers Company and is a contributing property in the Manchester Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places
  • Adaptive reuse of the historic structure with its existing large bay doors, deep overhangs, and exposed structure ensured the historic character of the original firehouse was preserved and respected
  • First floor open bays were converted into two meeting spaces, with a gallery space in the center
  • An elevator was built in the former hose tower space and provides high tech MEP systems
  • A center gallery was designed with curved walls and a curved ceiling
  • Exterior site lighting, a public courtyard, perimeter landscaping, and sidewalks contribute to its neighborhood context.